A relatively small proportion of my work is set in the modern world, but I do have a handful of stories. (This doesn’t include contemporary fantasy stories that are retellings of folkloric material.)
- Down a Street That Wasn’t There
An ebook collection containing many of the stories from this set.
- “Fate, Hope, Friendship, Foe”
This was a farewell tour.
- “Guidelines for Using the Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library”
My love letter to Widener Library at Harvard.
- “La Molejera”
The old woman isn’t grinding corn in that metate of hers, and she won’t be making any tortillas from the meal.
- “The Genius Prize”
Finding out what happened isn’t the hard part. Believing it is.
The coyotes of Mexicali were bold.
- “The Last Wendy”
“My name is Peter Pan.”
- “Comparison of Efficacy Rates for Seven Antipathetics as Employed Against Lycanthropes”
This research was not authorized by a Human Subjects Committee or other ethics review board.
The application form is seventy-two pages long, and they require nine copies.
- “Such as Dreams Are Made Of”
Holt was a master of his art.
- Stories related to the Wilders series are listed on that page.