I’ve been sitting on this for a month
I’ve worked with Ekaterina Sedia (squirrel_monkey) twice before, on “Comparison of Efficacy Rates for Seven Antipathetics As Employed Against Lycanthropes” (in Running with the Pack) and “Coyotaje” (in Bewere the Night). Now that I have the go-ahead, I’m delighted to say that I have sold her a third story, this one without any shapeshifters in it whatsoever: “False Colours,” a novelette in her upcoming anthology of YA Victorian romance, Wilful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society and Scandal.
You can read more about the anthology here. The table of contents looks pretty awesome:
- THE DANCING MASTER by Genevieve Valentine
- THE UNLADYLIKE EDUCATION OF AGATHA TREMAIN by Stephanie Burgis
- AT WILL by Leanna Renee Hieber
- STEEPED IN DEBT TO THE CHIMNEY POTS by Steve Berman
- OUTSIDE THE ABSOLUTE by Seth Cadin
- RESURRECTION by Tiffany Trent
- MRS BEETON’S BOOK OF MAGICKAL MANAGEMENT by Karen Healey
- THE GARDEN OF ENGLAND by Sandra McDonald
- FALSE COLOURS by Marie Brennan
- NUSSBAUM’S GOLDEN FORTUNE by M. K. Hobson
- THE COLONEL’S DAUGHTER by Barbara Roden
- MERCURY RETROGRADE by Mary Robinette Kowal
- THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS by Caroline Stevermer
As for “False Colours”? Well, a select few among you may recall a certain character named Lt. Ravenswood . . . yeah, this is that story. The rest of you will have to wait and read it for yourself — I wouldn’t want to spoil anything!
I’ll post a release date when I have one.